The shop has been empty for some time, but in December 2008 it re-opened its doors to once again offer the 'yoof' of Southend some alternative clothing (all be it in a more 'emo-friendly' kinda way). The name above the door is now 'Threads Atomic Dustbin', and I bet the new owners musta worked on that one for days! Mind you, I'm reckoning that the only people who will get the 'joke' will be in their 40's (Neds never really were a household name were they??!), the same people who will have little interest in shopping there!! (I mean, do they even make those massive black flared jeans in 40+ waist size??!).
On discussing the name change with another former 80's goth-type in the office, we were sure we could come up with something even better. Since then, the text messages have been flying backwards and forwards, with the puns getting worse and worse as the days go by. Here are just some (the least worst!) of the rubbish we came up with....
We started off trying to think of more emo-friendly bands, like:
- Bonnet for my Valentine
- System of a Gown
- Mink 182
Then, being old buggers, we had to widen the criteria a bit...
- All About Eve-ningwear
- Anti-Nightware League
Then, in desperation, it was just ANY type of shop!!
- punk delicatessen - Ham 69
- Mad-chester baby clothes - Nappy Mondays
- goth dog kennels - Bow-Wow Haus
- goth Mexican restaurant - Alien 'Tex-Mex' Fiend
- shop specialising in toilet rolls and tissues for Metal lovers - Bums & Noses
- Electronic shoe shop - Baltic Feet
- a shop split down the middle selling fruit preserves on one side, and hob-nobs, digestives etc in the other, or to put it another way - Half Jam, Half Biscuit (look, I was pretty desperate by this time OK??!)
Oh you get the idea, and yes, these were some of the better ones!!! I therefore hand it over to you dear reader, to provide me with more (better??) band related shop names, come on, don't be shy!